Sunday, April 9, 2017

3/26-4/09/2017: Weeks 7 & 8 – Preparing for Wet Lab Work

So, at long last, I turned 18 at some point in the past two weeks. This means that I am finally able to begin working towards working in the Mills Lab’s wet lab at the ASU Biodesign Institute. In order to prepare for my position, I’ve spent the last few weeks studying lab safety manuals from my previous labs in addition to completing the courses required of me from ASU for me to be able to work independently in a lab. The courses and exams I’ve taken in these efforts include topics ranging from Biosafety to Fire Safety.


In the courses I took, I re-learned about how to properly dispose of the remnants/results of my research in a safe and careful fashion. The detailed descriptions of the 4 biological safety levels and the proper actions which ought to be taken in the case of each further emphasized the variety of dangers and situations which may arise over the course of scientific and especially biomedical research.

This coming week, I will be taking an in-person laboratory safety class and also receive a badge which will grant me access to the ASU Biodesign building. Once I complete these steps, I’ll be able to smoothly transition into the wet lab from bioinformatics.


See you next week!

1 comment: